“Build A Better Mousetrap And The World Will Beat A Path To Your Door.”
-Henry David Thoreau, 1854
Henry David Thoreau lived in a different century than you and me. Henry David Thoreau never invented any mousetraps. And the world never beat a path to his door. I think that Henry David Thoreau was smoking Crack Cocaine. That was then, Mr. Thoreau, but this is now. Selling Has Changed.
Today, if you’ve got better mousetraps, new technology, or a superior solution to any kind of business problem, you’re faced with some very tough challenges. Your customers and prospects are inundated with choices. They’re relentlessly pursued by sales people. They hide behind their computers and guard against unwanted pests with their voice mail. You send them emails but they can vaporize your message with one touch of the delete button. Your website is just one among millions.
Have you ever said this to yourself? “I’ve got the most fantastic product—people love what I have to show them, if I can only get them to listen!” The most precious commodity in business today is attention.
This website is all about one thing: Getting and Keeping the Attention of your prospects and customers. Causing them to pursue you, instead of you hunting them down. Being certain that every dollar you invest in advertising and marketing comes back to you with friends attached.
Madison Avenue can sing and dance and entertain, but they do not know how to drive new ideas into change resistant markets. We do. They fear anyone who holds their advertising accountable for results. We don’t. Effective marketing is not a collection of slick techniques that temporarily tricks people into falsely believing that your stuff is more righteous than everybody else’s. It’s effective communication of your unique message – communication that is rooted in unchanging principles.
Perry’s articles on Guerilla Marketing focus on principles, not techniques, and apply to any business, and they provide a sound introduction to the Perry Marshall Marketing System:
Most Popular Posts
- How to make $10,000 per hour with a beer in your bathtub 146 comments
- The gigantic horrible lie about education 134 comments
- A Nostalgic Tour of my Amway Tape Collection 92 comments
- Entrepreneurs and our insatiable GREED 89 comments
- One conspiracy I do believe in…. 88 comments
- TV: The Opium of the People 85 comments
- How to rivet your readers with "primal" ad copy 85 comments
- Fist Fight at the Board of Directors Meeting – Part 3 83 comments
- Who likes Planet Perry & who doesn't 82 comments
- A Rant about Sweeping Change in 2011 81 comments
- What kind of car does Perry drive? 81 comments
- Fist Fight at the Board of Directors Meeting – Part 4 78 comments
- Google & the Ex-Wife Nookie Hookup 78 comments
- 10 Predictions for 2012 77 comments
- Social Media: Anyone actually making money with it? 75 comments
- Sweeping Change is Underway 73 comments
- $100,000 and nothing to show for it 72 comments
- The Enemy Within: Self Sabotage 71 comments
- Left-handed marketing secrets 70 comments
- Illinois will crush affiliate marketing if you don't act now. 68 comments
- How the Rules of Selling Have Changed
- Positioning vs. Prospecting and Motivated Selling vs. Tactical Marketing
- Sales Leads on Auto Pilot
- The Essence of a Strong Marketing Message
- The Essence of a Strong Sales Message
- Marketing Magnetism = Sales Negotiating Power
- Marketing is Systematic
- Advertising = Selling In Print
- Advertising vs. Publicity
- Advertising Metrics – Know Your Numbers
- Emotion vs. Logic in Advertising
- A Guaranteed Way to Capture Peoples’ Attention
- Speak Your Customer’s Language
- Make it Specific and Concrete
- The Wrong Way to Impress a Customer
- Your Greatest Business Asset
- Getting and Keeping Customers
- De-Commoditizing and Differentiating Your Business
- People Are Cynical – and What to do About it
- Playing the Publicity Game – Successfully
- Don’t Market Products, Market Information
- Tips from the Bose Marketing Playbook
Success Through Controversy
- The Big Ass Fan Story – HVLS Inc. listened to its customers and changed its name to Big Ass Fans. Today it’s the fastest growing company in the industrial marketplace. Find out why…
- The Nine Great Lies of Sales & Marketing
Generate Sales Leads with White Papers
- How a White Paper booked $100,000 of sales leads in 3 months – in the conservative Banking Industry
- The Most Important Ingredient in Your White Paper
- Promoting Your White Paper – Why it’s more important than the white paper itself
- What a White Paper is NOT – the right answer to this question will keep your document from being either a) over-commercialized, or b) too technical and boring
- Write Your White Paper in 48 Hours Not Weeks or Months – tips for speed writing
- Why Your White Paper Can’t be a Dry Technical Treatise – and how technical people make buying decisions
Google AdWords Articles & Resources
- 5 Days to Success with Google AdWords – Perry’s free 5-day email course, rich with content and sound advice on the psychology of Google AdWords. Includes important techniques and tools you can use to squeeze the most value out of every click you buy.
- Perry Marshall’s Split Tester – Is your winning ad really a winner, or did it just get lucky? Use this quick and easy tool to find out.
- Why the Most Important Success Ingredient Has Nothing to Do with Google – The paramount importance of testing new marketing ideas before you try to launch them
- A Powerful Twist on the GoogleCash Method – Low cost product research and market intelligence through Google AdWords
- A Google AdWords Lesson from the Wall Street Journal – Yes, the WSJ uses Google AdWords to get more customers, but there’s an even bigger lesson you can learn from them
- How one “Trivial” Change Can Cut Your Bid Prices by 95 Percent! – Google AdWords ads are extremely sensitive to copy changes. (Actually all ads are, it’s just easier to test that on Google than anywhere else.)
- The One Thing That Separates the Men from the Boys in the Google AdWords Game There is one central idea, one key concept that Google wants you to understand. And they’ll reward you richly for ‘getting’ it.
Perry’s Tales of World Travel
Travelogue: Taiwan, Hong Kong and China
- My Asia Diary – Perry’s first trip to the orient, during the enchanting season of Chinese New Year in 2001
Field Report: Asia’s Most Beautiful City
- Picture tour of Lijiang, China – In Southwest China, 500 miles north of Thailand in the foothills of the Himalayas, is the striking jewel of Lijiang. Perry’s brother Bryan, who teaches English there, shares photographs, maps and stories about this historic city
Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Yuppie Family From Chicago visits Sao Paulo, Brazil, Gets Reality Check – From the ethnic food and sandy beaches of Brazil to Sao Paulo’s homeless children, gangs and slums – a trip to the Jagged Edge, 1999
The Third World vs. the Modern World
- A Passage to Sub–Saharan Africa – A week in Mozambique, one of the world’s poorest countries, July 2003
Perry’s Trip All the Way Around the Globe
- Soundbytes from Oz – Perry Marshall’s trip around the world, September 2004 – Tales from the X10 Seminar in Australia, Fiji, Malaysia, Singapore, Dubai and the heart of Africa, Nairobi Kenya
Perry’s Passsage to India
- Perry’s India Travelogue – Visits an orphanage for boys in Rajahmundry, India, with Children’s Relief International. With side–trips to Hyderabad and New Delhi and the Indian Ocean. Read about everything from exotic food to supernatural healing. June 2007.
By Perry Marshall and John Rinaldi
Perry and Bryan’s Google AdWords Book
Published by Entrepreneur Press
The Ultimate Guide to Google AdWords by Perry Marshall and Bryan Todd. It’s the world’s most popular trade published book on Google’s advertising system. Covers not only AdWords but the essential ingredients of online direct marketing including Search Engine Optimization, Email Marketing, Testing, Tracking and Copywriting.
George Thomas, President of Contemporary Controls, interviews Perry Marshall – On Perry’s career transition from industrial sales manager to marketing consultant The Audio Business, from the Technical Side
- Confessions of a Former Speaker Designer – Perry Marshall designed speakers for Advent, Acura, Ford, Honda, Mazda and Chrysler when he worked at Jensen from 1993–1995. Stories & observations about the audio business as a hobbyist, acoustical engineer and marketing professional – Voice Coil
- The Ultimate 2-Way Speaker System – Perry explains in detail the exotic speakers he designed for his library and office
- Derivation & Analysis of the Transmission Line Speaker Enclosure – Senior paper from my acoustics class in Electrical Engineering, working out the math of a relatively rare type of speaker system.
- More Technical & Industrial Articles here…
- Books I Have Loved – Perry’s list of most–influential books, both business and non–business.
- Music I Have Loved
- Where did the Universe Come From? Latest results from renowned astronomers, physicists and the Hubble Telescope have significant bearing on the relationship between faith and science.
- A Definitive Answer to the Evolution vs. Intelligent Design Debate – How the science of modern communication and the Internet proves life was intelligently designed – and if evolution happened, it was programmed to happen.
- If You Can Read This, I Can Prove God Exists – The information science that gave us our modern digital age shows that language is proof of the existence of God, and that all evolution is driven by intelligent processes. Read, listen on your computer, or download the MP3.Or click here to watch in streaming video.
- New Scientific Evidence for the Existence of God – a revolutionary lecture by astronomer and physicist Dr. Hugh Ross
- 7 Great Lies of Organized Religion – an iconoclastic view of church history, a rebuff to skeptics, and thoughts on genuine spirituality, in a 7 day email series. Or to listen to Perry’s June 2006 live presentation (streaming or MP3) here.
- Mel Gibson’s Passion Movie Controversy – Personal reflections on 2004′s most hotly debated film
- September Eleven: One Year Later – Op Ed Published in the Pittsburgh Daily Courier, September 2002
- When the Guru Smacks You on the Side of the Head, Take It LIke a Man – Insight from renowned percussionist Neil Peart:True Professionals always approach things differently than everyone else, and they’re never too proud to receive instruction
- Escaping the Institutional Straitjacket – Is American Education a conspiracy to dumb people down and produce obedient drones for an industrial economy? Perry rants about the insatiable, trillion–dollar public education beast.
- “In Search Of Heroes” – Ralph Zuranski and Perry Marshall in Conversation. A radical departure from the usual business / marketing / make-money banter, Ralph asks very personal questions about faith and ethics; success, freedom, social responsibility and values. Perry talks candidly about his father’s death, his philosophy of life, travels in developing countries, racism, and views on spirituality. Listen to or download Part 1 – Part 2 (1 hour 40 minutes total) or Read the full transcript here.