The other day at a 4-Man Intensive, someone in the group was dispensing some REALLY good advice to a surgeon. He adamantly resisted it.
His procedure was 94% successful but he was afraid of creating false expectations for the other 6%. He was afraid of being unethical. We ended up having a long conversation about that, including full disclosure about the 6% failure rate. He’s a rare among surgeons because he’ll do the procedure over again for no charge, if necessary.
Several weeks later he emailed me, reporting that he’d completely thought through the issue. He apologized to me for his resistance, copying the rest of the group members. He said now that he’d sorted out his hesitation, he was now ready to take his foot off the brake and start selling his procedure in earnest.
What I admired about the guy was 1) he was at least HONEST about the fact that he was resisting, instead of pretending to listen but ignoring everything he was being told, and 2) he went home, talked to his wife and straightened himself out.
Nobody talks about it much, but this is a VERY common problem. The issue could almost be anything, but almost everyone has to *emotionally* adjust to opening up their sales throttle 100%. Almost everyone struggles with this and to be honest, if you don’t, you might be a psychopath.
But you still must finish the struggle, in order to prosper to the fullest extent possible. Hey, that’s just life.
The notable “Mindhacking” guru PJ Eby came to one of my seminars a few years ago with his wife. He said something I thought was really interesting: “We pay close attention when we feel ourselves blocking great ideas that we just received. When we notice ourselves doing that, we circle back to it during breaks or dinner and ask ourselves why.”
What advice have you been given that you are resisting?
What future event, seminar or learning experience will be better if you go into it knowing that *something* is gonna make you queasy, and you need to talk it through and sort it out, so you can plunge forward into success without reservation?
Your comments welcome below….
Share This Post