Dear Marketing Professional:
Last week a stunning insight tumbled out of Joshua Long:
“When I give average business owners an online form and say ‘Describe your business,’ they give me 1-2 pages of rambling.
“But for those who’ve experienced THE SHIFT, it’s 2-3 sentences. Definitive. Unique. Crisp. Clear.
“Not only that...
“Average entrepreneurs work 10-12 hours a day, just keeping their heads above water.
“POST-SHIFT they work 3 hours a day. They’ve transcended ‘the struggle for the legal tender.’
“Average guys are assaulted from every side. Thick competition. Duking it out over price and delivery. Trying as hard as possible to disguise the fact that they’re selling commodities. Taking clients guaranteed to make them miserable... just to pay the bills.
“POST-SHIFT, their business castle grows more immune to competition the bigger they get. Bigger Castle → Fatter Moat.
“POST-SHIFT, I advise ‘em: ‘Get a hobby. Take up a sport. Or start another company. You still need a creativity outlet. But your business is not that outlet. Your biz is so dialed in now, you’d better make sure you don’t ‘fix’ stuff that ain’t broken.’”
The essential part is the moat. Because if your castle isn’t protected by a big fat moat, you will a-l-w-a-y-s be looking over your shoulder. Scuffling with fickle customers, wrangling with skinny profit margins, until the day you die.
Your ticket to freedom is your moat. If your moat is strong… the hobby, the sport, and the new venture are all in the offing.
Just after Christmas, in December, entirely by accident, I literally stumbled upon a real moat at a real castle.
My 16-year-old son Zander and I escaped COVID lockdown to Ireland during our winter break. The Irish had eased travel restrictions, so we seized the opportunity. Six days of un-rushed, father-son Renaissance Time.
One mile from Ventry, we happened on the 1300-year-old Rahinnane Castle as we drove down a narrow road on a cold morning. We glimpsed it completely by accident! This castle was built in the Beowulf era!
Reactions to the Rosetta Stone Seminar
A gorgeous morning. The sun was rising over Dingle Bay. We parked and headed for the castle. As you see here, it’s three stories tall. It still has a functioning stairway heading up to the second floor.
We clambered around inside the castle and walked the grounds. I snapped some pictures of Zander.
Being “castle-clueless modern Americans” we were initially puzzled as to what the deep depression in the landscape was, immediately around the structure.
Suddenly Zander said, “Dad, can’t you see? It’s a MOAT!”
DUH. I guess the only moats I’d ever seen were the ones in children’s story books. You know, the ones where the turrets have cute little triangle flags waving above. Literally walking right through an actual moat caught me off guard!
Here is a photo taken from inside the moat:
The photo above was taken standing inside the moat looking towards the castle. The picture below was taken within the moat looking forward as you walk around it:
This moat is 30 feet deep! Filled with water or not, when you’re looking across the land from the castle, it’s more than clear that it would D-E-L-A-Y any invader attempting to come across. Your foe would be an easy mark for spears, bows and arrows, and boiling water.
The photo below was shot from the nearby road. Please notice: The moat is NOT AT ALL obvious from the road, yet affords significant protection from anyone who wants to rob you, murder your family and steal your stuff:
Wikipedia reports: “Local tradition once claimed this piece of land was the last in Ireland held by the Vikings, as it was so easily defended.” The only reason this castle is still standing 1300 years later is: The builders dug a moat.
Your moat is more important than your castle.
Businesses with moats – stiff barriers to competition – are modern-day fortified castles. Since I taught Google Ads to more people than anyone, I’ve witnessed the joyous birth – followed by bitter sickness and death – of tens of thousands of TEMPORARILY profitable businesses.
This is why I am utterly disinterested in businesses that can’t or won’t last for a long time. If you want to build wealth, I recommend you adopt this same stance.
There are two kinds: “20th century moats” and “21st century moats.”
Companies with “20th century moats” (land, buildings, capital) grow more complex, more onerous, more unwieldy – and harder to defend – the bigger they get.
Companies with 21st century moats (Network Effect) get simpler, more focused, easier to explain and more competition proof – the bigger they get.
Network Effect is when Uber gets more riders which attracts more drivers which lowers the wait time – which then attracts more riders. 10 years in, they’re invincible.
Network Effect is when eBay has buyers, which attracts more sellers, who attract more buyers. eBay might seem stodgy now, but it’s more immune to attack than the presidential palace in North Korea. The world’s greatest moat is Network Effect. You could spend $100 billion, and you’d still never get eBay’s buyers and sellers to switch to a new auction site.
That’s the kind of moat you need. The problem is, nobody had worked out a formula for regular businesses to attain Network Effect before now.
It’s been 3 years since I coined the term “Network Effect for Mere Mortals” for the Rosetta Stone seminar. This one phrase transformed everything.
Network Effect for Mere Mortals is the invisible moat that grows more bulletproof the bigger your business grows – but unlike Uber and eBay, does NOT require millions or tens of millions of dollars of investment capital.
Network Effect for Mere Mortals only requires elbow grease. And it’s nearly invisible until it’s invincible.
Moats are mandatory. Invisible moats are even better!
We have hundreds of Network Effect businesses in our midst. Mere mortals who have made themselves immune from encroaching competitors.
3 years ago this month, I issued this warning:
Either YOU own the network
Or the network owns you
Unfortunately, as the ascent and strangleholds of Amazon, Apple, Google and Facebook shows all of us, “Network Effect” normally costs tens and hundreds of millions – even billions. Almost nobody gets a shot at being a Silicon Valley “Unicorn.” 99% of those who do, get stabbed to death. Dead on arrival.
In 2018, I conceived an alternative. I called it “Network Effect for Mere Mortals” – the Planet Perry version of what makes eBay, Uber and Airbnb competition-proof.
Back then, to be honest, it was more theory than reality.
However, Ed Harycki had sold LoanBuilder to PayPal for megabucks 3 months before. We had been scheming together for a couple of years. So I definitely was NOT making any of this up.
I called it Rosetta Stone. My master formula for competition-proofing small companies. It was more a patchwork of essential patterns and fragments than a polished, “proven” formula that others had repeated 100 times.
Yet I was confident. We held the now-legendary Rosetta Stone seminar on three gorgeous days in May in Chicago. People are still buzzing about that event. Astute Planet Perry members began executing the strategies I unveiled there.
Today: patterns and fragments no more. It’s the veritable engine room of Planet Perry. It’s how we grow businesses from $1 million to $10 million while making them simpler, more irresistible and bulletproof. Even $100K businesses (like David Nadler’s Facebook agency below) use it to make their companies more elegant, easier to run, and more appealing to clients.
It has already put 20-40 “in the know” Planet Perry members 5-10 years ahead of the pack. Real years. Not internet dog years.
Is it “coincidence” that those who embraced Rosetta Stone expanded AGGRESSIVELY during COVID-19 – even as most people were casting about helplessly like a tugboat in a typhoon?
Tom Donald is a Roundtable member from London. Musician. He founded London Contemporary School of Music.
You would think music lessons, traditionally face-to-face, would tank during COVID. For the vast majority of music teachers that was true.
But Tom pulled record sales in 2020, despite the fact that he had to completely pivot away from in-person instruction and onto Zoom.
Exactly a month before COVID slammed Europe with hurricane force, Tom arrived at Rosetta Stone London. As a result, Tom flipped deep disadvantages into advantages and re-oriented his entire team to virtual, far beyond what anyone would normally expect an online piano lesson company to do.
He and his team shattered previous assumptions about their business. Unlike all his competitors, cowering in their spare bedrooms and praying for government relief checks, Tom recognized that nearly every disadvantage could, by modestly applying technology, switch into a Network Effect for Mere Mortals Moat.
Now everything that used to work against Tom (like the fact that students could no longer go for in-person lessons) works TO TOM’S ADVANTAGE. Not only acquiring customers but building a big fat moat around his castle.
When COVID flipped Tom’s universe from 80/20 to 95/5, Tom seized command of the “Top 5% tier.” Post-pivot, he’s adding international clients far beyond London, further strengthening his moat.
This transformation is accelerating in industry after industry. The other day I had a consult with Chris in the construction business. He runs a narrow niche firm, sourcing custom product from various suppliers and drop shipping to customers. All his business is driven by his website.
Chris already applied Network Effect for Mere Mortals to make 35% profit margins in an industry where 8-12% is the norm; to become the undisputed #1 player.
Chris had already made THE SHIFT. His biz is now a well-oiled machine and he spends several hours a day networking and indulging his curiosity. His business is up during COVID (record sales, 8% over last year), but this is just the beginning.
He says, “During the 2008 crash, we had been forced to try a bunch of crazy stuff. Back then I discovered a specific way of shipping product that would make entire parts of the supply chain unnecessary. I’ve been keeping it in my back pocket.
“The other day I realized, if we could solve [he went on to describe his very specific chicken-and-egg problem, common to ALL Network Effect businesses] we could turn this entire industry upside down.”
I goaded him: “Chris, what would it take to prototype this thing, operate in ONE city or state, six weeks from now – even if you have to carve the product out of a bar of soap?” The answer was already inside him; all it took was someone to ask.
Chris’s next adventure is: Turning his tiny corner of the construction industry upside down and shaking it until all the spare change falls out of its pockets.
An entire calcified good-old-boys-club that is NOT serving customers, NOT innovating, NOT earning its bread is going to tumble like icicles crashing to the ground from a roof on a late winter day.
THE SHIFT, baby. Long live the revolution.
Why NOW is Prime Time for You to Make Your Move:
- Most businesses are waiting for the wrecking ball to come smashing in – yet pretending it can never ever happen (like Americans in February 2020 assuming “coronavirus” could never jump from Italy to the whole friggin’ United States… remember?)
- Most industries are ripe for disruption. When my son Caden graduated from high school, we rented a party awning for the backyard. The awning guy arrived at 7:30am with the wrong model. “So sorry, I’ll go back and get the right one. Be back in an hour.” My day was full of appointments I had to shuffle around. 2 ½ hours later he returns. This sort of incompetence is rampant, and every time someone solves it, they can also, if they choose, consolidate dozens of local businesses into well-run regional or national concerns. Will it be you? Or the other guy?
- COVID has merely accelerated what was already underway – world is more web centric, more network effect based. Have you kept up?
- In many industries, he who owns the leads and owns the web traffic owns the business. We call this Tactical Triangle Takeover. This means agencies who are real strategists (and not merely carpetbaggers) can grab their industry by the balls and own it. But it takes balls to do it, and not everyone has ‘em.
What Is Tactical Triangle Takeover?
Tactical Triangle Takeover is the way you control 80% of a business while only owning 20% of it. It’s the Planet Perry version of Uber’s “control everything, own nothing.” I explain Tactical Triangle in Chapter 6 of 80/20 Sales & Marketing. Everything in marketing is in the Tactical Triangle which makes it the Rosetta Stone of business.
Tactical Triangle Takeover says: once you control the majority Traffic OR Conversion Or Economics OR 80/20 levers of the business (most of which are tiny and often invisible), then even though you don’t own most of the chessboard, you still own the game.
This is how tiny ad agencies and lead generation firms, such as Solar Quotes in Australia, command entire industries and grow even more robust with scale.
An online ad agency in and of itself is frankly not a great business, but when properly positioned and harnessing Network Effect for Mere Mortals, becomes an incredible lever for retaining customers for years and greatly increasing the quality of service delivery.
John Fancher and I explain Tactical Triangle Takeover in this video:
A couple years ago, Laura and I needed windows with better insultation. We called several guys for quotes, and they all came over to the house.
We picked an installer. Then when we turned another guy down, he literally begged us to give him the business. “Mr. and Mrs. Marshall, I really need this sale right now. I could cut the price another $250, maybe $275… I can call our installation manager and see if he can schedule it a day sooner… PLEASE will you reconsider???”
Though his desperation was extremely disconcerting to me, I still didn’t give him the order. The reason was: the other company had better online reviews while his company had some bad ones that scared us off.
The company that got the order had a better moat. The other guy could only watch helplessly as his castle got raided.
In one of the Rosetta Stone: Activate modules, Mark McShurley will show you how to accelerate Review Velocity which will ensure that when you deliver a great customer experience, you also have the greatest possible odds of that person sharing their satisfaction with the world.
What is it that YOU want?
Entrepreneurs talk about “freedom” all the time. Occasionally they’ll even use the word “retirement” but they never mean collecting a pension and reading the newspaper and going to luncheons or lounging around at the golf club.
What they really mean is what Megan Macedo calls “containment” which is:
- Your “engine” is connected to a drive shaft and wheels and you are doing meaningful, engaging, exciting
- You possess the latitude and resources to perform all of your work with excellence, because you are not constantly tangled up in the BS that resource-thin people inevitably deal with. (“It takes just as much brain power to live in poverty as it takes to get rich. Which way do you want it?”)
Whether you A) desire to earn $400,000 a year strictly on your own terms, or if you B) prefer to join the ranks of the wealthiest entrepreneurs in the world…
You can do it with this, the world’s first
Zero-to-Billion equity business strategy.
This is what comes next after the golden age of marketing is over. By the time most people see it… it will be too late.
When you seize and activate the Rosetta Stone opportunities that you can see right now, very often a new opportunity opens up to expand MUCH further, should you elect to seize it. Chris, who I just told you about above, can glimpse a $100 million business from his present position of $3 million.
Long shot? Absolutely. No guarantees. But today Chris is in a position to CHOOSE whether to pursue this or not, and it’s already a rip-roaring adventure.
Tragically, most people enjoy no such liberties. To them, turning an industry on its head is a luxury of unfathomable proportions.
Are you so preoccupied with the latest…
- Psychotic client
- Drama queen
- Refund request
- Problem employee
- TikTok sensation
- Support ticket
- Political skirmish
- Competitive bid
… are you so disillusioned and ground down by the humdrum and day-to-day, that to even contemplate “revolutionizing an industry” is as unthinkable as joining the NBA and shooting baskets with Michael Jordan?
Can You Prevail?
Do you have the confidence to take on the entrenched players and power-brokers in your market… And win? Do you have the tools and weapons in your arsenal that won’t just give you a fighting chance… But actually give you an advantage they’ll never see coming?
Network Effect for Mere Mortals and Rosetta Stone have since surged faaaar beyond the seminal videos I released in 2018.
This is why, I created Rosetta Stone: Activate showcasing my latest case studies and estudiantes. Plus, the tools and thinking to take them to the next level. (And you get full access to the original Rosetta Stone Seminar videos and tools immediately after you sign up. They are a perfect prelude to the new material delivered in Rosetta Stone: Activate.)
I shared the new content through conversations with the next class of Planet Perry members who were ready to take their business through THE SHIFT.
We bulleted out, in detail, how very ordinary men and women (who, just like you and me, also suffer from ADHD and bright shiny object syndrome) make THE SHIFT.
This is how they are creating Micro-Amazons and Mini-Apples in industries as diverse as:
- Information marketing
- Lawn care
- Home repair
- Online marketing
- Lead generation
- Online membership communities
- Real estate
They didn’t need platoons of software developers or MBAs. Just a new way to reckon with the new world we’re living in.
Throw the shackles off. When you come to Planet Perry events and meet our men and women, you discover how plain and ordinary they are. Yes... they’re eccentric. But they’re not any more eccentric than YOU!
One week ago, I talked to a sales guy who is a commissioned broker in a peculiar crag within the real estate business. He spends most of his day cold-calling and lukewarm-calling. He paid $3000 for a one-hour consult so he could figure out how to replace cold calls with lead generation.
In the course of our conversation, I found out he rents a nifty little database from a small publishing company. So, between his existing deals, and some information sources he’s patched together (almost as though it’s written on 3x5 cards) he is POTENTIALLY CAPABLE of knowing 25% more about a particular type of property than everyone else in the space.
I slowed down and carefully explained to him how, in the next 12-18 months, he can perform a Tactical Triangle Takeover of his tiny little industry and have that entire world by the tail.
You can’t take advantage of opportunities if you don’t see them. THE SHIFT makes opportunities like this visible EVERYWHERE.
He is joining Advanced Mastery Network, and we have already commenced out activities together. The company he’s brokering for will be working for him in about two years.
When You Nail THE SHIFT
(which we will help you do)
The Market’s Response to Your Offers
Will Astound and Energize You
Chris Scott and Gary Creath sell marketing knowledge to real estate agents. They experienced the ROSETTA STONE SHIFT by creating a new product offering which was a judiciously chosen blend of “we do marketing for you” with very tight boundaries regarding what they will and will not do. (This is absolutely crucial, and Rosetta: Activate is largely about getting this fine-tuning exactly right.)
The new offer scaled so fast, they had to switch off the machine so their team could catch up with the demand!
Copywriter John Fancher produces their newsletter as a hired gun; their staff delivers the service; and now it only takes them a few hours a week to run a business that’s growing at a double-digit clip.
The bulk of their time and attention is now dedicated to one and only one question:
How do we make this company worth a crap-ton of money? How do we maximize OWNER EQUITY? [For some this is about selling the firm for eight figures. For others it is about fashioning a lifestyle business and cash cow. You get to choose, based on your family, your priorities, your age, your preferences and your vision.]
Jeff and Beth McCord have invested heavily in premium advice. They have NEVER nickel-and-dimed their business education (unlike so many others). They have consistently bit the bullet and bought the best advisors, employees, contractors and vendors.
Consequently, their company, YourEnneagramCoach.com, is also growing at a tremendous pace. They made THE SHIFT during this last year. They are members of Advanced Mastery where we are positioning them to be utterly competition-proof, and literally every two weeks their moat gets fatter.
- They have time and space to maintain their sanity
- Their energies are focused on making theirs the #1 community in the entire world for Enneagram coaches
- They have a two-year plan for more moats and more Network Effect for Mere Mortals
- The success of every single one of their coaches ADDS to them rather than generating competition
Scott Schang arrived at Bob Regnerus’ Facebook workshop in late 2019. At that time Scott had two assets in his possession:
- A mortgage company
- A website called “FindMyWayHome” providing lots of useful free information for people whose mortgage has “issues.” This site had built up a respectable amount of traffic over the last 10 years, and now he was trying to figure out what he could do with it.
He and I had a one-hour conversation. My brain lit on fire – then so did his. We saw – as is so often the case:
- We could greatly amplify his Definitive Selling Proposition – it was already there, it was just weakly articulated. It was a mere “Unique Selling Proposition” (USP). USPs were good enough in the 1970s when Domino’s Pizza was “Fresh hot pizza delivered in 30 minutes or less.” Today you need something bigger than a USP. You need Definitive. Scott’s DSP was hiding under a tarp. It just needed to be polished. We then could use it like a magnifying glass in the sunlight and start burning holes in stuff (that’s where the fun really begins).
- “Network Effect” feedback loops were just ‘laying on the ground’ like hoses sticking out of a 12-cylinder engine – ready to be plugged into their rightful places. Let’s go on vacation!
- He had relationships in the mortgage industry – trust built up over a long period of time, that he had never cashed in on.
With some other hand-picked Planet Perry members, we began building FindMyWayHome into a Power Portal in the mortgage industry where:
The strength and power of Scott’s market position would now be harnessed to grant the best and most ethical mortgage brokers greater capacity to REACH and to SERVE deserving customers – people who behemoth companies like LendingTree discard like broken toys.
FindMyWayHome is now leaping forward at double-digit growth PER MONTH. Scott has the luxury of taking ONLY clients and partners that exactly match his strict criteria. His conscience would not tolerate anything less.
This puts him in charge of his destiny, and keeps his carefully grown garden from being whored out by investment bankers, venture capitalists, mortgage industry vultures or exploiting scumbags.
One of the characteristics of my finest clients is they’re not just gunning for the highest-dollar exit they can manage. They care about their customers, employees and industry more. We believe there’s a better way than simply “selling out to a big dumb company.”
What This Is
Who This is For
What You Get
If your business has not yet experienced THE SHIFT, the answer is not another band-aid, not another sales gadget. The problem is usually the engine itself.
If you’re still hustling to take whatever business that comes in, if you’re saying ‘yes’ to everyone in pants, if your product offerings are all over the place, if you still can’t volley back with a definitive answer to what do you do that NOBODY ELSE can do, we’re ready to help you fix that.
- Rosetta Stone: Activate makes THE SHIFT easy and automatic. In Rosetta Stone 2018 I handed out 12 powerful tools. In Rosetta Stone: Activate I’ve streamlined this to one assessment tool, the Rosetta Scorecard, and one Rosetta Process Flow Roadmap. John Fancher will help you understand these in the Implementation videos. These X-Ray tools reveal the hidden skeleton of the scalable, irresistible, competition-proof enterprise.
- In this course we make it simple and straightforward for you to hone a flaccid Unique Selling Proposition into a clutter-penetrating Definitive Selling Proposition. Your USP will improve dramatically in 45 minutes, and you’ll emerge with a roadmap to dominating your marketplace with a power DSP. This will, in turn, make your paid traffic less expensive; it will increase your conversion rates; it will deepen your ability to pay for advertising, thus you acquire more new customers with greater ease than ever before.
- We’ll prune and pare down your sales message to exactly resonate with your most desirable buyer. This makes your emails, social media posts, ads and promotions more effective and less confusing. (A confused mind always says no.) Don’t work harder – market smarter.
- We will laser-identify your most red-hot, bleeding neck ideal customer so you meet the need none of your competitors can or will meet. This permits you to sell in a competitive vacuum, releasing you from the relentless pressure from competitors.
- We’ll develop a road map for your most ideal offer, striking the ideal balance between “what your customer wants” and what you can effectively and authoritatively deliver. Usually this is 30% adding features and 70% REDUCING features. (Not the other way around!) This lightens your workload and overhead. It strengthens your margins and profitability.
- Suddenly you see with tremendous clarity how easily overlooked ingredients in your business turn out to be invisible moats and levers against encroaching competitors.
- This is incredibly valuable, because your ability to think – breathe – act – create – enjoy – put money in YOUR bank account and not only always invest it back into the business – has more to do with your immunity to competition than any other single thing. We will strengthen those competitive barriers. Your best moats are largely invisible until they become invincible!
- This refreshingly simplifies your life and opens up new s-p-a-c-e that restores your depleted creativity reserves.
Rosetta Stone: Activate
Rosetta Stone: Activate + Attack
Who is a Fit?
This is not for you if you’re basically a representative, dealer, distributor, reseller or franchisee; or if for some other reason you do not enjoy the latitude to change the product being offered. Also, if inertia from family members, partners or employees will prohibit you from making signature changes, this is not for you.
You're a fit for Rosetta Stone: Activate if you want to grow steadily without exhausting yourself; clearly differentiate yourself from all rivals; and become resolutely difficult to knock off.
In order to qualify for this program, you must have a functioning business that provides services, manufactured physical products, software, consulting or media, and you must have control of the final product that is delivered. You must be willing to butcher sacred cows.
If you are a “marketing crack cocaine addict,” this likewise is not for you. If you are still desperately clinging to the fantasy that you are merely one [insert tool / technique / method / manipulation / software subscription / hypnosis trick of choice] from solving all of your biggest problems… then go ahead and sign up for the next webinar that crosses your Facebook feed, and give somebody else a few thousand bucks. Planet Perry is for grownups.
The way we help you experience THE SHIFT (scalability, magnetic attraction and customer immunity) is through:
- The Rosetta Stone Scorecard, which reveals the differential between where you are now and where your business potentially can be, in specific areas.
- Rosetta Process Road Map, which actively guides you through the steps necessary to hone your DSP to perfection, enact Network Effect for Mere Mortals and engineer an irresistible sales story.
- John Fancher’s Implementation Videos, which demonstrates how the Rosetta Stone tool apply to real students in the course.
- You can take the Activate+Attack Upgrade and get 12 weeks of personal Tactical Triangle Attack coaching with John Fancher, master copywriter & sales funnel expert who provides Definitive Selling Proposition coaching to my Roundtable members. It's no secret that John's also the "Voice of Planet Perry". He writes every promotional email and landing page we use and provides personal consults on our sales letters.
Rosetta Stone: Activate helps you achieve THE SHIFT through a series of detailed case studies and x-ray vision tools. You get to look over the shoulder of some of my best students and see exactly how they connected the dots.
These are people who operate construction companies, are subject matter experts, software developers, niche industry leaders, coaches, trainers, agencies and consultants. Their businesses have become simpler and easier to operate while becoming easier to explain and more difficult to replicate.
What You Receive When You Register
You get the original Rosetta Stone recordings which contain magical priceless moments and strategies that enabled many of my students to sail through COVID-19 with nary a bite or scratch.
People raved about Rosetta Stone starting May 8, 9 and 10, 2018 when it was originally delivered. Jennifer McManus-Kirk described the event like this:
When we kicked off on Day One, it was like a lightning bolt. There was so much power and energy in this room, it was palpable. I did not take a single note. I did not want to stop listening for even one second. I was transfixed. It was like with every word spoken and every topic touched, that C.S. Lewis quote would roll through my head “What! You too? I thought I was the only one.”
And it had nothing to do with marketing and everything to do with fundamental universal root principles. There was tangible resonance and tuning. I still feel reverberations, and I believe I will far into the future.
On the morning of the third day, I decided to stand for the session. I am glad that I did because I don’t think I would have been able to stay in my seat. The discourse of that morning was so profoundly moving that when the call for questions came the only one I had was “Is that actually happening right now??!!??”
All that is captured on video, and you get instant access the minute you sign up.
- You get also instant access to the member’s area which houses a deluxe kit of diagnostic tools that pinpoint “blind spots” and problems that have eluded you until now.
- My three Rosetta Stone: Activate videos in which my very best students walk you through the process they used to deconstruct and re-engineer their businesses to no longer be stuck or stagnant; head and shoulders above competitors; and difficult or impossible for others to copy.
- You get John Fancher's two Implementation videos, where he challenges assumptions and does on-the-spot hot seats with real Rosetta Stone: Activate students. He walks you through the Implementation Road Maps and help you through the steps.
- John Fancher, my right-hand copywriter & sales funnel expert, offers even more personalized and customized hands-on training for an additional fee. The upgrade is called “Activate + Attack”.
Rosetta Stone: Activate
Rosetta Stone: Activate + Attack
ALL Castles Require Moats
We designed this training for:
- Lead generators who wish to become the tail that wags the dog – Tactical Triangle Takeover really does make you king of your own micro-universe.
- Agencies who are willing and ready to pivot out of the never-ending commodity trap. If you are a typical agency, you are skimming from one Facebook account to another, one Zoom to another, one lunch-and-learn to another, hustling for clients and trying to jam them in the top faster than they fall through the bottom. Are you tired of it yet?
- Personalities, consultants and coaches who want to “rip off” proof their biz (there’s nothing worse than being just another expendable guy or gal talking about [fill in the blank]).
- Local businesses that aspire to scale nationally. There are huge unexploited opportunities in this area, so for example, businesses like RoofSimple who perfected review velocity on platforms like Google and others have an enormous, sledgehammer, crowbar advantage over all others with unlimited scalability.
- “Proposition Simplifiers” who follow Richard Koch’s signature model. (99.5% of Planet Perry members are Proposition Simplifiers, not Price Simplifiers, and most try to do both simultaneously which never ever works.)
- Niche businesses (such as a new client we’re onboarding in Australia) who must build invisible moats fast... before anyone notices how insanely profitable they are. WARNING: If you’re making hefty profit margins and/or growing at double digits per year, you had better sleep with one eye open. Moats are extra critical for you, sir. Businesses enjoying more than 10% profit with relative ease, and/or secretly pocketing a lot of dinero and do not want competitors to find out how lucrative it is; must expand moats before everyone else finds out!
- Service providers for whom complex tribal knowledge and especially privately stored DATA can be transformative (this is a powerful – secret – invisible moat).
- Businesses that have a shot at being #1 in online reviews in their niche. If this is you – sit up and pay attention NOW.
Once upon a time, marketing was “the bee’s knees.” Anybody who could score solid headlines and bullets could reach six figures. But today even marketers with “above average skills” are a dime a dozen.
Marketers now suffer the same doom as doctors. Haggard people, dragged by the nose from one promotion to another, one product launch to another, one diagnosis to another, one seminar to another, never really getting traction, hustling for the next gig.
DEAL with the HARSH Realities Before They Deal with You
Most businesses as currently defined will never make THE SHIFT. On a weekly, almost daily basis I ask clients:
- Are you in the right business? Or the wrong business?
- Is it even possible to achieve what you want in the business you’re in right now?
- Are you the right person to be doing this?
- Do you have the right people?
- Are you in the right market?
- Can you disrupt the market?
- Can you pull it off before somebody else does?
- How much will it cost to disrupt it?
- What question do you have to answer in order to disrupt it?
- Can you dominate that market?
- How much will it cost you to dominate this market?
- What is going to happen when your market shifts from 80/20 to 95/5? (This is happening in industry after industry. Old citadels are tumbling like dominoes. Yours is next.) Are you going to own it – or is someone else?
- How can you make yourself completely competition-proof?
- What will it take to build an utterly competition-proof moat around your castle?
- What are the “minor” ingredients that build Network Effect, even for companies that are NOT venture funded like Uber and AirBnB?
- What epiphany in your Definitive Selling Proposition will suddenly move the needle in your favor?
- How do you get equity? (There are three types of equity, depending on what kind of business you are in. Each requires a radically different strategy than the others.)
- How do you get equity as an outside consultant?
- How do you decide in advance whether you even want to try getting equity? (96% of prospective clients will not be worth the trouble. Do not waste your time.)
- Is the culture of your client even compatible with the long-term goal of building a market-dominating business with an impenetrable moat around their castle?
How to radically insulate yourself from all competition
You probably don’t even realize how much you limit yourself and your vision because you are instinctively – via your own muscle memory – anticipating retaliation from competitors.
What would you do if you KNEW competitors would be powerless to follow?
How much more courageous would you be?
Imagine going into your next project with Elon Musk cojones because you know your competitors cannot follow you where you are going.
Rosetta Stone will deliver a Scoring Tool and Process Road Map which will make it easier than ever before to quickly diagnose and alchemize your business, to add moats and Network Effect.
Which brings me to my guarantee:
• IF your Rosetta Scorecard potential between where you are and where you can be is 25 points or better
• IF you follow the instructions to fill out the Rosetta Stone Process Flow Road Map
• THEN you will begin building a Network Effect biz with a powerful moat
• ELSE if you personally and subjectively do not feel we’ve made good on that promise, contact our support team within 30 days of your purchase and we’ll give you a full refund
Rosetta Stone: Activate
Rosetta Stone: Activate + Attack
Remember, you will get the original, stunning Rosetta Stone Seminar videos as soon as you sign up. They are the ideal preparation for Rosetta Stone: Activate. Here’s what people said about the original Rosetta Stone:
Feedback for the Rosetta Stone Seminar
“It was like getting struck by lightning.” -- Jordan Gerding, Corvallis, Oregon
“Rosetta Stone will someday be regarded as one of those 'I was there' moments, like dancing to Pink Floyd when they were playing in a railway shed and the tickets cost 50 cents. Perry Marshall laid the foundation stone for the future.” -- Derek Dearden, London, UK
“One of my companies (in which I’m an investor) just went from 3.5 to almost 10 million in revenue. I credit Rosetta Stone and your 80/20 book with helping to make that happen. I took most of the staff of the company to attend Rosetta Stone. My whole crew loved the program!” -- Dave M. Frees, III, Unruh Turner Burke & Frees, Phoenixville, PA
"Purchased your Rosetta Stone at Jack Born’s recommendation back in 2018. Didn’t watch it.
"Now I’m at the cusp of a new film-related business idea, and in Providential timing, got an email from you that mentioned Rosetta. “Oh yeah, need to check that out.”
"In no time, my business stuff was halted this last week in order to finish your event. OH MAN. It’s freaking amazing. I mean…. DANG. Thank you, thank you." -- Kyler Boudreau, Theater Eleven Pictures, Bowling Green, KY
David Nadler on THE SHIFT:
Through Rosetta Stone principles, my agency went from about $330,000 to about $500,000 last year. That means we’ve had 22% growth per year. My profit margins went from 15% to 30%. In the last phase of this transition, I've been able to alter my agency to need only 20 hours of my time instead of 40 hours of my time. The idea is the simplification of your business. As Chet Holmes said, "Building a great business isn't about doing 4,000 things, it's about doing 12 things 4,000 times."
Five Steps to Ruling Your Kingdom
- Marketing - It’s absolutely necessary… the only problem is, it’s not sufficient anymore.
- Equity - It’s not how much you make. It’s how much you own when the music stops.
- Scale - This is probably the hardest thing for most people. And it’s 5X harder when it takes three minutes of rambling to describe what you do.
- Moat - The absolutely most important thing. Having lived through the “taming of the wild west” on the internet with Google Ads, I know how easy it is to start a business. It’s just way too easy for businesses to be finished for good, and all too often it’s a nasty surprise.
- Castle - It’s the thing everyone focuses on, but it’s the least important part. “Castle” isn’t your 5-bedroom condo in Breckenridge. “Castle” is the appearance of things. It’s the stuff most people brag about, like revenues and sizes of product launches and # of employees and how many countries you do business in.
How Much Is Your Business
If your revenue is in the range of $100K to $250K, its actual worth – what someone would pay you if you sold it to them – is probably several months’ income. If you were to find someone who wanted it, they might buy your “book of business” for, let’s say, $50K. That’s about what it’s worth.
If your revenue is in the range of $1 to $3 million, its actual worth – again, what someone would pay for it – is likely 1X to at most 3X one year’s revenue. So, a $2 million business could be worth $4 million. Again, that’s IF you can find someone who wants to buy it.
But if your revenue is $10 million, its actual worth is probably 3X to 6X revenue. That means it’s worth $30 to $60 million.
AND: Investment bankers and private equity firms will be hunting you down. (Not you cold calling them.) I’m serious.
That means growing your company from $250K to $1M adds a million dollars to your net worth.
But it also means growing your company from $2M to $10M adds $24M to $56M to your net worth.
I know what you’re thinking:
Why is a $2 million company worth $4 million, yet a $10 million company is worth $40 million???
How does an $8 million boost in sales equate to a $36 million increase in equity???
It’s because “crossing the $4M chasm” puts you in the driver’s seat. In the world of private equity, a $10M biz is vastly more reliable and bankable. It runs on systems, it doesn’t revolve around you, so it’s more reliable. It’s simply the kind of business investors want to own.
This is also why it’s easier FOR YOU TO OPERATE even if you never sell it.
It’s why Josh Long says, “I’ve never met an owner of a $5M company who was happy.” This is because 5M sits in the impossible no-man’s land of “too small to have systems and too big to not urgently need them.”
Whether you’re a $100K company or a $1M company, the Rosetta Stone: Activate SHIFT will enact a major phase transition in the equity value of your company.
Planet Perry is cranking out these quantum leaps at ever faster speed. I want you to be the next person to experience THE SHIFT.
Rosetta Stone: Activate
Rosetta Stone: Activate + Attack
P.S.: My final thoughts:
I would be loath to claim that I have “arrived” in any sense. My own business has innumerable warts and flaws; I’m still working on them. Nevertheless, it continues to afford me generous space to explore and discover many fascinating things. These, in turn, fuel my imagination and curiosity.
In the last 24 months, I’ve traveled to a half dozen countries, founded a cancer research foundation and a virus research company, formed a cancer & evolution society, chaired a seminar, submitted a paper for publication; taken my adopted son to his hometown in China, gone on a sort of 2nd honeymoon with my wife; celebrated my 50th birthday in Iceland; announced the world’s largest research prize at a prestigious institution, gone on multiple pilgrimages. (Oh yeah, and the Rosetta seminars in Australia and UK were both a lot of fun.) And all that despite a worldwide pandemic.
Can you appreciate how much this level of creative latitude, in turn, feeds energy and life back into my business? How it gives me great stories to tell and further inspires and energizes my customers? I get to hang around some of the most interesting people on the planet.
Well, it’s not just me.
Ralph Waldo Emerson said, “An organization is the extended shadow of the person who leads it.” Many Planet Perry members are likewise carving out their own “planets” in the marketplace. Engineering their own reality to suit their own tastes and desires. Renaissance men and women who will not be denied.
Living the interesting life in Planet Perry is not unusual. Logan Christopher is a Renaissance Man in the making, a younger guy who’s doing a lot of similar things. Casey Graham sold his company a few years ago, and now he’s enthralled with the adventure of building another one. Victor Cheng volunteers in all kinds of fascinating things, mostly health- and community-related, in his home state of Washington.
Jonathan Pototschnik and Donny Wyatt both sold parts of their companies for significant sums, yet are still running them – and enjoying their work. Tim Francis runs Great Assistant on a few hours a week, and also has ample time for very interesting consulting assignments and side projects. Megan Macedo, who lives in London, spends a month living in New York City every chance she gets (well, you know, between having babies and navigating pandemics).
Surely the reason you got into business in the first place was you wanted to enjoy some of the rewards. Who says it has to be all pain and suffering? What if your business delivered the latitude and lifestyle options that you’ve always craved? Can you make the mental switch?
It’s a choice. I hope you’ll make it. Join me on the other side of THE SHIFT.
Rosetta Stone: Activate
Rosetta Stone: Activate + Attack
Q: What's the Guarantee?
A: IF your Rosetta Scorecard potential between where you are and where you can be is 25 points or better...
- IF you follow the instructions to fill out the Rosetta Stone Process Flow Road Map
- THEN you will begin building a Network Effect biz with a powerful moat
- ELSE if you personally and subjectively do not feel we’ve made good on that promise, contact our support team within 30 days of your purchase and we’ll give you a full refund
Rosetta Stone: Activate
Rosetta Stone: Activate + Attack